Friday, June 27, 2014

Recycling - Potting Station





I took advantage of my daughter’s kitchen renovation and grabbed two of her cabinets about to be trashed, to use as the base of a potting station.  I took the top cabinets because they are narrower, taking up much less valuable space in the greenhouse.  


Her cabinets were the 80’s Formica type cabinets typical in so many condos, so I simply took some plywood we had on hand and cut doors to size.  I “splurged” in spending $3 for the doors’ trim.  The cabinets sit on the panel that enclosed the refrigerator.  The sleek size of the potting table fits perfectly into the space, and as I have another larger potting table next to the house, this is ideal. My frugality continued by recycling some old wood planks I found in the garden to be used as the table top, achieving the rustic look I was hoping for.  I loved the stool I found for only $5 from a local thrift store.  The bead board was from the Restore at $6 a piece, and the shelves were made from old outdoor steps laid on flower box brackets I had stashed in the shed.    

So, if you are looking for a very easy, efficient, and no or low cost potting table - be on the hunt for some old kitchen cabinets from friends, or lying by the side of the road during trash day.  I am ecstatic with the end result, and love the look nestled with my vintage milk cans, galvanized watering cans, and aluminum serving pieces so prevalent in the 1950's.  I love this space!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment