Thursday, July 6, 2017

Pastry Board


A pastry board is a wonderful piece of baking equipment if you make a lot of pastries or breads.  It’s simple and inexpensive to make.  
 
 I first used one while attending cooking classes in Siena.  To my delight, when we returned home, my husband took me to a home improvement store where we bought a scrap piece of high grade plywood and a piece of trim the length of the plywood.    Simply screw the trim piece to the bottom of the plywood.  This keeps the board from sliding off the counter when you are kneading or rolling the dough.   The edges were routered, but you don’t need to.  However, I do recommend sanding the edges.    Oil the board, wipe off the excess and you’re done. 
Just be sure you have space to store the board.  Also, don’t use it as a cutting board or it will be ruined.  When I need to cut the dough, I use a dull knife, dental floss, or my pastry scraper. So, If you’re like me and make a lot of breads and pastries, you may want to consider making a pastry board.   It’s one of my favorite toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment