Saturday, April 9, 2016

The Greenhouse/Potting Shed/She Shed


 

 


 

It has been two winter seasons since the greenhouse/potting shed has been completed and I thought I would share some of things I’ve learned. As always, I look forward to others ideas as well.
 
My husband had wanted to buy a greenhouse kit and assemble it for me years ago but I had always declined.  I didn’t want to waste space in my garden with a greenhouse, and I can't bear how oppressively hot greenhouses become in the summer.    But as I got more involved with winter gardening, I thought it was time to reconsider.  I wanted a greenhouse that was a combination potting shed and greenhouse.  I also wanted to remove the front windows during the summer and be able to plant directly in the greenhouse. You can see the beginning phase of the greenhouse on this blog “Recycling – Potting Station” page. 

I enjoy using recycled items and turning them into something sensational.  I had found an appealing greenhouse idea on Pinterest which I used as my inspiration.  My challenge was to try to build the greenhouse for under $250.  Yes, I was delusional.  I was able to get the windows at the ReStore for $5 a piece, and I did have some leftover wood from our renovation, but we had to buy considerably more than I expected.  I stopped using the costs spreadsheet when I hit $750.  At the end it probably costs just under $1000.  Just be prepared to spend more than you originally thought, but it’s worth every penny.


The first winter we had used the greenhouse, we had record snowfall here in the Northeast.  On two separate occasions, we had full week of no sun, which didn’t allow the greenhouse to warm up during the day.  I did make three terra-cotta space heaters which did increase the temperature in the greenhouse by a few degrees, but the candles last approximately four hours, so unless you get up in the middle of the night or get an electric heater, I wouldn’t expect the plants to survive.  Obviously, nothing is going to survive in those frigid temperatures. 
Terra-cotta Space Heater
 

 I also used floating row covers, a lightweight fabric which can be purchased in any garden center.  These covers allow 70% of light transfer, traps the sun’s heat, and increases the soil temperature a few degrees.  Even during one particular evening when the temperature dipped to 0°, the plants were fine.  I also recommend placing plastic milk containers filled with water near the plants to help retain heat during the evening.  The sun’s warmth heats the jugs during the day and releases that heat back into the greenhouse during the evening.  By experimenting, I found that milk jugs I had spray painted black were less likely to have any freezing and retained the most warmth.  Be sure to have an easily readable thermometer in your greenhouse.

Not only will you love your greenhouse, so will the little critters.  And not only will they love living in the greenhouse, they will love munching on the plants.  They ended up eating everything in the greenhouse.  I had better luck with the cloches which they did not touch.  But, you have to admit they are cute.  I plan to make some wire cover-cages and see how that works out next winter.
 
The bottom line is, and as much as I hate to admit it,  I should have listened to my husband and let him build me a greenhouse long ago.  It's my favorite play space.  I'm in it every day.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment