Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Miniature Gardens



The first time I saw a miniature garden was at the New England Flower Show and I was immediately hooked.  They were sweet and charming, and I had to add one to my garden. Of course, mine are very simple and unpretentious, but they still add delightful whimsy and charm, not to mention making a great conversation piece when friends visit my garden. 

What I learned:

Any container that strikes your fancy can be used, but it’s always beneficial if it has a drainage hole.  I admit most of mine do not.  If you have enough room to add gravel to the bottom of your container, that fabulous, but don't worry if you can not.  Just be careful watering.  Please note that the deeper the container, the less you'll need to water.  Likewise, the small saucer type gardens need to be watered more often, usually daily. 

Always use a quality potting soil.  It provides the ideal soil composition complete with nutrients that the plants need.

You can’t go wrong planting with sedums for shallow containers.  There are so many different varieties, they are easy to trim, and are very forgiving if you forget to water which I do often.

I love using herbs for deeper containers.  Most of my potted herbs and all my miniature gardens come into the house during the winter. My herbs look so much more attractive and interesting in a miniature garden setting than a simple pot.   

 
 Your garden doesn't need to be elaborate.  It's easy to find dollhouse size accessories to adorn your garden.   As odd as this sounds, I collect interesting rocks when I travel to add to my miniature gardens. It's a wonderful way to remember a  wonderful time.  For example, the rock in the bunny garden is from the driveway of a monastery in France, or the rock in the beach garden is from Kahana.   


 
You may have noticed a theme in all my gardens.  I always add a pet.  Not only because I love them, but I believe it gives the garden character.  As an added bonus, they provide continuity to all my miniature gardens.  I hope I've inspired you to try making one of these charming little treasures. Be creative and have fun!
 
 
 
 I use some of my vintage hammered aluminum pieces to make an interesting miniature garden collection.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment